- Place the gammon in a large pan and cover with water. Bring slowly to the boil and drain.
- Add 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 stick of celery, a bouquet garni and 6 peppercorns.
- Cover again with water and bring to the boil.
- Continue to cook for 10 minutes per 450g plus a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the water, take off the skin and score the fat in diamonds with a sharp knife.
- Place the joint on a baking tray, spread a thin layer of mustard over the ham, stud with cloves and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºC for 30 minutes.
Delicious served Hot or Cold